Sunday, July 13, 2008

July 13, 2008 - The Big Jug Band

My Influences:



The Big Jug Band

Weird stuff seems to happen (to me) on a fairly regular basis. I'm not entirely sure whether I seek it out or I attract it (it may be both) or that's just how things are in the Universe? Most of that weird stuff has a habit of presenting me with opportunities for positive and/or constructive growth.
The Big Jug Band is definitely weird stuff.
The Big Jug Band has been nothing but positive and constructive on its own, let alone its positive and constructive influence on me.

As I mentioned before (http://ryan-gould.blogspot.com/2008/06/feb-11-2008-wags-macklin.html), in late 1999, an ad ran in the Austin Chronicle asking for interested parties to contact the poster. The poster was our good friend and famous bare-knuckle boxer, Wags Macklin, Wash-Tub Bassist.
I met with this illustrious gentlemen. He told me that two others had responded; the four of us met soon after. Brady Coleman, Craig High, Wags Macklin and I stumbled on each other and, unintentionally, struck up a beautiful relationship that grew into something amazing.

We would meet on the back porch at Craig's or in Brady's kitchen on regular basis. We'd play music, enjoy BBQ, share some tales and get hip to some cool stuff going on in town. No matter what we did, I felt closer and closer to the band and it became less and less like a band and more and more like family - brothers and sisters, that is; not cousins.

Over these last eight years, The Big Jug Band has grown, by ones, by twos, by fours, by fives ... no matter the number, it has also grown happily. Each new member has brought (brings) something wonderful and fresh making our hearts lighter and expanding our ideas, educating and energizing our souls and minds.
(I'm using that particular pronoun because it's a safe bet that most of the band members will say the same thing if you ask them).
Individuals and bands have not only joined this bunch, individuals and bands have struck up and ventured forth from this bunch to become contributing members of Austin's music scene. So, you can thank a Jug Band for, at least, some of the music around town!



The Big Jug Band has affected me and continues to do so in a notable way. I have met some of the dearest people in my life through this band. These folks have supported me and loved me unconditionally, they have watched out for me in troubled times and celebrated with me during momentous occassions. The Big Jug Band is a community of its own due its size and it is good example of what we should all be trying to do in the bigger picture: look out for each other.
Thanks Big Jug Band family; I love you!

Some links:
www.myspace.com/thebigjugband

--------------------------------------------------------------

"In a man's mind, his face is on his arm because he wears his heart on his sleeve." ~ E. Hayes, June 2008


No comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).