Friday, October 31, 2008

Oct. 12, 2008 - Pizza

My Influences:



Pizza
food

The idea to discuss food as an inspiration popped into the old brain housing group today. I thought, rather than discuss the many wonderful foods I enjoy (or in today's case, can no longer enjoy) all in one sitting, I'd break it up into smaller bits.

Pizza is this week's installment!
I love pizza! Who doesn't?! Is it possible that anyone dislikes pizza?

Let's go backwards, today ...
As mentioned above, I can no longer enjoy pizza; I have a bit of the old intolerance to wheat. It grieves me sore that I can't eat the food I used to consider my very most favorite food.
Luckily, when I discovered this little medical anomaly, I had been in Austin for about seven years and well-practiced in the art of sacrificing my Southeasten Pennsylvanian Native diet. As some of you may know, Austin has no real pizza. You might say that some sort of brash statement; you may think you have a better idea. I'll argue with you until you're blue in the face.
Here's my very quick tour of the pizza world both here in Austin and back in PA:

My first concession is Saccone's here in Austin. http://www.saccones.com/ Of course, the folks running this shop are from Jersey, so they ought to know a little something about how to make a good pie. Sure enough, when I could eat the wheat foods, I made the trek up to Cedar Park just for a slice or two. It was the best pizza in Austin -- in fact, the only thing in Austin that would do for me.
How did they compare with the pizza fare at home? It was good; they were the only game in town for a while, though. I'd still recommend them to anyone asking for pizza direction.
In the year before I went wheat-free, two places popped up in South Austin (in fact, both are on S. Congress).
The first is Home Slice Pizza. http://www.homeslicepizza.com/ I have heard the argument that a slice from this joint is every bit as good as anything from Philly. I tend to disagree.
The second is Southside Flying Pizza. http://www.southsideflyingpizza.com/ I haven't heard the same arguement about this place.
Both places serve an okay pie. Both places are, unfortunately, full of hipsters. The former serves slices but I can't comment on the taste as I will never pay half a gig's tips just for a slice! The latter doesn't serve slices (this might actually ban them from inclusion on a list of real pizzerias - if the place doesn't sell by the slice, what kind of place is it?!).
While stuck in Austin, TX, Land of No Pizza, these are the places to go; compared to home, these places get the "emergency pizza" stamp - if the good places are closed, you can go here and still get something that will do.

Heading home (PA home), we find the first pizzeria to teach me what a good slice and a good pie was all about, my childhood favorite, Via Roma Pizzeria! The place seemed covered flour, there were two arcade games in the back, there were dudes speaking (shouting) Italian behind the counter and throwing pizza dough into the air.
The pizza was amazing!
Dad had a four day weekend every other week back then. That Friday night, the usual plan was to order a pie and pick it up then come back to the house where we were allowed to set up dining trays in the living room and watch TV (Dukes Of Hazzard) while we ate the tastiest pizza around.
Fast forwarding to the adult years (after active duty service and before moving to The Land Of No Pizza), I lived in Bridgeport and Norristown. My uncle once told me (of Bridgeport but it could certainly apply to Norristown), "You can't swing a dead cat by its tail without hitting an Italian joint in that town!" A lot of these "Italian joints" were pizzerias.
The best in Norristown, at the time, was a place called Main St. "Home of the Big Slice." They did have some big slices. I don't believe for a second that they were the actual Home of the Big Slice, though. These guys made a seriously good slice. The pies were decent, too ... you had to know who was working, though. I preferred one guy's pie to most of the others cooks. There was one dude in there I avoided at all costs; if this guy was on duty, I wouldn't order a thing.
We ate so much pizza from Main St. during that time. A coupon came with every pizza you ordered (stamped onto the box). Every ten coupons bought you a free pizza. We had a free pizza almost every week.
In Bridgeport, there was Little Sicily http://www.littlesicilypizza.com/ and Franzone's www.kingofprussia.com/franzones. Little Sicily delivered to King of Prussia where I worked at night. I ate myself silly on their personal sized pies. Franzone's is an interesting place. It's a love it or hate it place. They throw their sauce on top of the cheese and the sauce is sweeter than the average. Obviously, I loved it! (It's also Lauryn's favorite.)


Lauryn and I enjoying some Franzone's!

Jumping into the City, Lorenzo and Son Pizza gets my vote. There are tons of places to eat a slice in Philly, I'm sure I could go on and on about quite a few of them. Lorenzo's just happens to be my pick. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

So, there you have it. A quick tour of good pizza. Sorry, Austin, there really isn't great pizza here in town. It's a sacrifice one must make for all the other amazing things that happen here. It's unfortunate but what can you do? At least, there are a great many more healthy alternatives (we can talk about them later, though)!

-- If you are eating Domino's or Mr. Gatti's or Pizza Hut or Papa John's or the like, please know that you are not eating pizza. You are eating a grease sponge. Stop now, find your way to the above-mentioned shops. You'll thank yourself.

-- If anyone feels the need to reply to this bit to tell me about Milto's or some other fancy "gourmet" pizza place in Austin, please know that I will not respond as I feel those places are NOT pizzerias nor do they serve real pizza. It should be noted that these places are making "gourmet" pizzas; the more crap you have to load on to a pizza to conceal or to enhance its true flavor the more it isn't real pizza.

I love pizza!
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!! I wish I could eat the wheat!

-------------------------------------------------

Some Links:

Wiki -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pizza

--------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
~ Albert Einstein

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).