Friday, October 31, 2008

Oct. 19, 2008 - Joseph Butcher

My Influences:


Joseph Butcher
brother


And now, I'd like to introduce my "little" brother. By "little", I mean that Joseph came along, chronologically, after me. If I had could find a handy digital photo to compare his size to mine, you would see that he got more of Mom's corn-fed genes than I. Yes, the fact is I'm the runt of the litter; Russell and Joseph are both "bigger" brothers.

Sauntering ever so awkwardly past my size hang-ups, we move back to Joseph.
In the early years, I was amazed to have a brand new brother! I marvelled at his growth as a human being; I just couldn't get enough of seeing how a baby turns to a toddler, etc. I was very excited about helping to learn. Mom always prompted me to help teach Joseph about anything and everything that I could. We had even learned a little sign language to expand his communication skills.
I also got to learn a whole lot about being responsible for my own actions and to see how those actions would be mirrored in the behaviors of my little brother.
Joe turned out to be a pretty smart kid (and now a pretty smart dude) and I got to learn a whole lot about human learning and responsibility -- pretty cool trade, if you're asking.
(The sad twist here is that we lived in a horribly backwards school district that instructed my Mom to STOP teaching him at home.)

So, Joe also turned out to be a pretty funny guy. As a kid, he always preferred the silly to the serious. He always tried to keep things light and make anyone and everyone around him smile. As an adult, though I don't get to spend nearly the amount of time with him as I would prefer (he lives in PA and I in TX), he's still trying to keep it light and makes folks happy.
Seems like a natural brother for the likes of me!




This week Joseph celebrates a birthday. So, wish him a great day and a good year!

Happy Birthday, Joe!
Thanks for being a great brother! I love you!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing."
~ Albert Einstein

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).