Monday, March 16, 2009

Daren - March 16, 2009

My Influences:


Daren Appelt
Music lover, Community Activist and Benefactor

Austin, Texas is a great many things to me and to many folks living here. I was enticed to move here by its residents with descriptions of many different musical genres and talented musicianers. None of these residents, however, had ever explained to me the many other treasures that an interested party could discover as part of this community.
I have stumbled on so many jewels in the last decade and each of these has anchored my heart to this town just a bit more.

One of these jewels is a gracious and kind man named Daren Appelt. Daren is most certainly a fan of music! Very regularly, I noticed his face in the crowd at a few different shows each week. When he and I finally introduced ourselves, he very graciously thanked me for my music and complimented my musicianship. As we talked, he revealed to me a list he kept in his pocket that detailed at least three different shows he planned to attend that evening. On this same list, he had a secondary list just in case one of the other shows had been cancelled or, in some other way, became impossible to attend! Obviously, this man was out to hear some music that evening!
Daren and I spoke at many other shows following the first. I came to realize that he planned each night in this manner! Wow!

Not only is Daren excited about taking advantage of how much live music this city offers, he gives it right back!
Daren regularly and graciously opens his warm home to professional musicianers in town who are interested in playing music together. He presents this opporunity as a time when these musicianers can "play" without having to "perform" for an audience. He also gives musicianers a chance to see each other ... we're usually too busy performing to catch other bands around town!
His kindness and good spirit pervades the entire house and each separate jam that pops up. There is an openness and warmth to each; to me, it seems that in each circle that forms, there is a happy willingness to meet new people, experience and learn new music, and share some good times and community spirit.
This, friends, is one of the unique gems that makes this town so appealing to me. And, friends, this gem is a heartfelt gift from our very good man! In presenting this gift, Daren is actively organizing a community and encouraging it to grow in a healthy manner!

Thank you so very much, Daren! Your gifts to me (and to so many musicianers) are cherished and priceless.
I look forward to sharing music with you at your home and at any old venue around town.


"All night long, I dreamed of pretty girls and candy. Life is great!"
~ Alexander High


No comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).