Wednesday, June 10, 2009

June 8, 2009 - Trees


My Influences:


Trees
shelter, oxygen, wood, paper, instruments, etc.


As a wee kiddo, I spent a lot of time climbing the pine trees at the playground in my apartment complex.
With friends, the trees were a wonderful place to adventure, hide, and plot exciting new plans.
Cradled by the familiar and comfy branches at the tops of the trees was a great way to sit alone, contemplating all the mysteries life had offered me at that time.
No matter the human company, the trees stood watch over the playground and offered a sturdy support for fun, companionship, imagination, and a much needed connection to the Earth. (The trees also offered a great deal of pine cones -ripe and otherwise- to be used as ammo in pine-cone fights; one of our favorite pastimes ... ouch!)

I'm not sure where all the time has gone between now and then? I am sure that trees have since remained a kind of quiet fascination; I have also grown quite a reverence for these stately beings.
Lately, if you are taking in The Jazz Babies show at The Tree House Italian Grill, you'll find me during the break in the garden, under the 700(+) years old Live Oak, staring, getting lost, being comforted, and basking in the majesty of such an amazing life. I'm knocked out by this beautiful tree's size. It amazes me that most of its branches could jump off the trunk and replant themselves in the ground as notable trees. I try to imagine what was going on 700 years ago when the tree was just a sapling. What was going on in the 1300s in central Texas? How much has this regal ambassador of time seen?
If you dine at the Tree House, please treat yourself to a moment under this tree; you'll be very glad you did.

There's a magic in trees for me. I'm not in search of words to describe it; I am really quite happy just to feel it.
However, a good man once wrote something that hints at this magic.

Trees
A. Joyce Kilmer (1886 - 1918)

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me, But only God can make a tree.
..................

Paul Robeson recorded this poem set to music.
Again, you'll thank yourself for listening to it:
http://www.last.fm/music/Paul+Robeson/_/Trees


So you know, the photo at the top and this photo just above were taken at Stacy Park in Austin. Lauryn and I had one of our first dates (and many since) under the huge live oak (at the top). That live oak found its way on to our wedding invitations as a stamp that Lauryn carved and I stare a likeness of the tree for a few moments every day on my wedding ring. Lauryn and I designed each other's wedding rings with that tree in mind.

Some links:

Oldest trees:

http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMQDF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldest_tree
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/04/080414-oldest-tree.html


"We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us."
~Marcel Proust

1 comment:

Henry Wilhelm said...

There's a chuck of old growth in these parts named after Joyce Kilmer.

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).