Saturday, August 29, 2009

June 25, 2011 - P. Kellach Waddle

My Influences



P. Kellach Waddle
bassist, composer, friend, resonator

I count myself among the luckiest folks. I get to do what I love for a living; bringing joy and light to anyone open to it through art. Through this career, as I've noted so many times in these scribbles, I've met so many great musicianers and beautiful humans.

A few years ago, my string bass gods made me aware of an incredibly talented and educated musicianer. A short time later, we had shared many discussions regarding our instrument and our career path. Then, finally, I had the opportunity to catch one of his concerts.
Wow!
If there was any doubt before (and there wasn't), P. Kellach Waddle had permanently etched in my brain a phenomenal example of how to approach and use the string bass to share incredible music and to convey emotion.
Wow!
Since then, I've had the pleasure of hearing Kel play again and again. If I can help it, I don't miss the chance. There is a lot to be learned from this master of the instrument! There is so much to hear and feel in his playing!

I should note that soon after that concert, Kel and I began spending a lot of time hanging out. We were fast friends. In fact, I think of it as fast brothers. Was it the instrument? Was it a common approach to music and life? Was it so many morning visits to Barton Springs before yoga?
Whatever it was, I found it to be deeply resonant. I share a kinship with this brother (composer, bassist, friend ...) that has strongly rooted itself in my core.
What kind of lucky am I to have such wealth in my life!?

Thank you for being such a great friend and brother, Kel!
Thanks for the great example of expert musicianship!







No comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).