Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Austin Bass Community

My Influences

Austin Bassist Community
Great Musicianers, Awesome Humans


Ten years ago, I moved to Austin with just a few things on my mind: Is it possible pay the bills as a professional musicianer? I need to grow as a musician and as a bassist. There are, at least, four bassists in the Austin area that have a solid idea about how to slap the instrument as compared to one bassist in the Philadelphia area who has a novice understanding of the art. To be sure, I can get a few lessons from these four bassists before Austin kicks me out!

Things looked pretty optimistic.

Mark Rubin, Adam Booker, and Billy Horton welcomed me to town rather soon after I got here. It took about a year before I met with Kevin Smith. http://ryan-gould.blogspot.com/2008/11/nov-17-2008-kevin-smith.html

In each case, these guys were very kind to me. Each of them encouraged me to keep playing and listening (the best advice any musicianer can share). Each of them had gigs around town that I took in as much as possible. (translated: lessons paid in whatever tip money I could afford) Mark and Kevin passed me recordings of other great bassists from other times or places. Adam and Billy shared with me tips for newer bassists.
There was a general openness that seemed to indicate that I was accepted as part of the larger group. I felt welcomed and inspired to achieve more and become a better musicianer, bassist, and person.
Those first months turned in to a year and then some. I continued to meet more bassists like Rob Jewett, Thomas Durnin, and Bob Alexius. The one characteristic that I found most common in the bassists I met who were living and working in Austin, Texas was kindness. It was a kindness that invariably gave way to so many other strong and laudable personal traits. It was also a kindness that marked strong professionalism and a strong desire to foster good community.

The realization of this community seemed to spark a conversation between Kevin and me. We found ourselves hosting bass gatherings in my living room with Beau Sample (living in San Antonio at the time but later moved to Austin). For a while, every month or so, the three of us would hang out with as many bassists who decided to join us for a day of bass camaraderie. Brad Fordham, Lindsey Green, John Stansell, B.B. Morse, Chris Porth, Matt Weiner, Mike Poppit, and others would join us to share videos and recordings of other great bassists, discuss ideas on bettering technique, or to play through some tunes. These hangs were truly some of the most exciting times for me; a bunch of bassists sharing ideas and techniques in an unguarded, selfless, and nurturing way. We had grown into a definite community.

A few years have passed without any major bass parties but a few of us have still managed some smaller hangs. Josh Hoag, Huck Johnson, Kris Wade, Chris Rhoades, and Nate Rowe have all spent time hanging with me looking at bass music and techniques. I find myself in discussions about the bass with great players like Glenn Shuetz, Johnny Vogelsang, Terry Hale, and Jessica Gilliam-Valls; all of whom I would consider supportive friends, not just professional peers. P. Kellach Waddle is a close friend who is constantly at my side pushing me to do my best as a bassist and a person.

In ten years I've watched the bassist population jump through the roof. To be honest, I feared that increase would risk the heart of the community. It hasn't, though! As in the past, most of the bassists I meet are excited to spend time with each other honing our craft and sharing our art with each other.

I arrived in Austin, hopeful for just a few bass lessons from some solid bassists. I got way more than expected! We are a beautiful extended family, supporting and nurturing each other, and maintaining and cultivating our rich Austin Bassist Community.

This is what it is all about, folks!

Thank you Austin Bassists. I love you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey interested in Bassist Chris Porth Have any idea where & what he's been up to?????? Thanks I have known him from day one but unfortunately have lost contact with him. Rose Porth

Ryan said...

Rose,
I don't what happened to Chris. I wish I did, he was a good guy and a good bassist.

Ryan said...

Rose,
Please shoot me an email (via my website - ryangouldmusic.com).
All my best,
R

Anonymous said...

Thanks fOr the mention, Ryan; I love the bass hangs! I wish I could be there every time!
-John S.

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).