Sunday, August 17, 2008

August 17, 2008 - Amanda

My Influences:



Amanda
Arts Enthusiast, Beautiful Human

A good six or so years ago I played one of my first gigs at the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport with my old pals The Boxcar Preachers - http://www.boxcarpreachers.com/. It's an interesting gig; lots of folks are thrilled to have some live music to distract them from the altogether unpleasant experience that is air travel; lots of folks don't even seem aware that there is music to enjoy; it's also a great joy to play under the incessant robotic announcements regarding mindfulness of one's baggage. Nevertheless, a gig is a gig and playing for the folks that do enjoy music, does make the gig worth the security check.

... On the break, Korey - http://www.iamkorey.com/ - and I took a little walk down the concourse to stretch and headed back. We returned to meet the father of a family who had been enjoying the music during the first set. He motioned for his four or five year old daughter to join our conversation. She was pretty shy so Dad tried to encourage her to speak, "Go ahead, you can tell them what you told me." She was still too shy to speak but she was able to hand to each of us a gift she made while she listened to us play earlier.
The gift was the photo above, signed across the top. Amanda had drawn five of these beautiful pieces, each in a different color for each member of the band.
Dad realized she wasn't going to speak to us and said, "In her words, 'The band gave me the gift of music, I want to give them the gift of art.'"
It didn't take long before there was a small lump in my throat.

Folks, Amanda surely did give me the gift of art. She also gave me the beautiful gift of selfless gratitude, and she did it with love.
Amanda continues to give me the same gift. Everyday, I look at her art (as soon as I came home that day, it was framed and hung on the wall for all to see). Everyday, a small child hugs me with love, kindness, and gratitude in her heart.
She is twice as old now and, perhaps, she has completely forgotten that one very sweet gesture but I will never forget it. It is easily one of the very best rewards I have ever received.

Amanda, if you are out there, thank you, and please, know that I thank you every day of my life.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
~ Thomas Jefferson






No comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).