Sunday, August 31, 2008

August 31, 2008 - Freddie Mendoza

My Influences:



Freddie Mendoza
trombone

Upon arrival in Austin in 1999, the instructions were to visit The Elephant Room on Wednesdays from 6 to 8pm to find and enjoy The Jazz Pharaohs. I obediently headed to the basement and found myself greeted by a band full of mostly familiar faces. The music that I enjoyed that day was easily the best I had heard until that moment! I didn't miss a Wednesday after that unless I picked up a gig or some unavoidable emergency arose. School was in session and I couldn't miss a class.

Among the professors teaching on that stage was Freddie Mendoza.
In the following year and a half of Elephant Room jazz class, though I didn't speak very much with Freddie, I took a whole lot of notes on how he worked with the band and how me performed individually. His contribution was never less than absolutely professional and always musically spot-on.
I stopped taking the class after a year and a half ... The Pharaohs decided to take me on as the new bassist.

So, I started a new class at The Elephant Room. I was 100% nerves every Wednesday, playing with such incredible professors. Nevertheless, as great musicianers and great teachers, the rest of the band showed me how to relax and just play. Freddie always shot me what signals I needed to guide me through arrangements and odd chord changes.
In seven years, I've learned so much about music as a soloist and as a band member from Freddie. He's also been a good friend willing to share a joke or some enlightening conversation - verbally and musically.

Freddie Mendoza is an Austin treasure. He is an amazing musician and consummate professional. He practices what he preaches and expects nothing less from those close to him.
It is a great pleasure to make music with you, Freddie. Thank you and I look forward, as always, to playing with you again!


Some links:

Texas State University - http://www.txstate.edu/jazzstudies/faculty/mendoza.html
The Jazz Pharaohs - http://www.art-n-music.com/112/mu/jph/fred.html
Monster Big Band -
www.monsterbigband.com

and in honor of some of Freddie's musical interests:
Black Sabbath website -
www.black-sabbath.com

--------------------------------------------------------------

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."
~ Thomas Jefferson

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).