Monday, December 29, 2008

Dec. 29, 2008 - Books

My Influences:

Books

This one seems pretty obvious.
Really, all of them do - to me.

So, how can you go wrong with a book? A whole bunch of text printed on some paper bound together to address an idea, to pass on important information, to communicate feelings or fantasies, or to entertain the imagination -- what a great idea!

I can't imagine a life without books. The world has so much information to share, it just can't be done without the assistance of this wonderful technological advancement.

Let's all be thankful for books this week and in every week to come!
Hooray BOOKS!

Here's a list of just a few of my favorite books:

The Autobiography of Pops Foster, New Orleans Jazz Man as told to Tom Stoddard
Pops Foster
Treat It Gentle, An Autobiography
Sidney Bechet
Music Is My Mistress
Duke Ellington
We Called It Music
Eddie Condon
Music On My Mind; The Memoirs of an American Pianist
Willie "The Lion" Smith
(Okay, this one was NOT a very well-written book but it did contain some valuable information regarding the beginnings of jazz. This guy is a genius on a piano keyboard, but someone should prevented him from using a typewriter keyboard!)

Common Sense
Thomas Paine
The U.S. Constitution and Declaration of Independence
(not really books I guess but still!)
Madison and Jefferson and other important type Founding Fathers

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy
Douglas Adams
Bluebeard
Kurt Vonnegut
Dracula
Bram Stoker
Frankenstein
Mary Shelley

Hagakure, The Book of The Samurai
Tsunetomo
The Unfettered Mind: Writings of The Zen Master to The Sword Master
Takuan Soho
Warrior of Zen: The Diamond Hard Wisdom of Suzuki Shosan
Arthur Braverman
Light On Yoga
B. K. S. Iyengar

The Sugar Blues
William Dufty

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).