Monday, December 15, 2008

Dec. 9, 2008 - Paul Schlichting

My Influences:


Paul Schlichting
drums

Ladies and Gentlemen, I'd like to present to you, Paul Schlichting.
You may have seen him wearing a hat or you may recognize him better without, either way, he's Paul, drummer, music educator, stand-up citizen, progressive human, caring friend, loving husband, creative artist, and all-around good guy.

Paul and I met a number of years ago while he was drumming for the Asylum Street Spankers. When that band wasn't out of town, he would swing by the old Black Cat to enjoy the Ridgetop Syncopators, Shorty Long, and Les Niglos show.
He always had a smile and a couple of positive words.
A few years after that, Mr. Schlichting asked me if I would be interested in playing some music together. He and his buddy, a very odd piano man, collected a few tunes and we got together. As it turns out, that trio blossomed into half of Giant City!

Paul has since taken a job as an elementary music school teacher. What luck for the kiddos in his classes!
Paul is kind-hearted, patient fellow, willing to share his experience and knowledge with anyone and anywhere those things might benefit the community. On that note, Paul is a great example of good citizenship; he is always doing his best to make himself aware of local politics and participating when and where he can with the hopes of making things better for all of us ... not just himself and his family.

I have enjoyed Paul's company on the bandstand in many different combinations and I always look forward to sharing his good spirit whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks Paul!


"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
~ Winston Churchill

1 comment:

Jaime said...

Thanks for this post.

Could you please thank Paul for signing the SECRETARY OF THE ARTS PETITION.

Jaime Austria
Creator of the SECRETARY OF THE ARTS PETITION

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).