Friday, June 27, 2008

Aug. 18, 2007 - Alex

My Influences:



Alex (August 9)

Influence and inspiration can come in all shapes and sizes. I'm not sure how or when that occurred to me but I'm glad it did.
Nearly eight years ago, I met someone who has become a great inspiration and a great influence on my life in all its aspects. In fact, I think of him as a hero.

My man, Alexander, has triumphed against all odds and has risen as a champion. I have watched him enjoy his childhood, learn from his mistakes and endure unfathomable horror and sadness.
I now watch him growing constructively under the love and guidance of some very, very wonderful people. He is blossoming into quite a spirited, good-hearted human being!

This young man has shown extreme strength and courage. He seemingly thumbs his nose at hardship and insistently defies the odds. And, he does it with good humor and a smile on his face. He laughs and plays through trouble and takes his licks knowing that he will come out on top.
I learned these lessons somewhere else. But, it's incredibly refreshing to get the reminder from a child when most adults have either forgotten the lesson entirely or just never learned it!

I am lucky (more so than words can describe) to have such a champion in my life and so extraordinarily grateful for such a gift.
I may have pointed in a few directions for him throughout these years but it's Alex who has shown me the way.
Thanks, buddy!
I love you!

---------------------------------------------------------------------


"Treat the Earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."
- Native American proverb


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).