Thursday, June 26, 2008

Aug. 27, 2007 - Leo Rowsome (and pipers)

The Influences:



Leo Rowsome (April 1903 - Sept. 1970)
Ri na bPiobairi

Leo Rowsome was, in my opinion, one of the finest pipers of the twentieth century.
Without question, he epitomized the life of a piper and was certainly a master of art of pipering. (Yes, folks. The term is pipering - that isn't a misprint.) He played and studied Irish music for the pipes (of course, the fiddle and harp, etc. repertoire) and he was a maker of the instrument. He was also a great force in teaching the art of pipering and reestablishing the instrument as an important part of the Irish culture.
Incidentally, he was the third generation of Rowsomes involved with this beautiful instrument and its music -- his grandson follows the same path and marks the fifth generation to do so.
(The links will take you further on the biological material, if you are so inclined.)

There are great pipers (some of whom were, in fact, students of our good man - Paddy Moloney, Liam O'Flynn, etc.) that have gained popularity over the last fifty years and more continue to appear. But seldom do we find an individual so naturally geared to a life of pipering.

Mr. Rowsome is a great inspiration and influence on me, of course. I had listened to plenty of The Chieftains and Planxty and even lots of The Bothy Band by the time I heard my first recordings of The King of the Pipers. There was something immediately evident in his playing. There was something that screamed this man was more than just playing music but sharing his spirit through his instrument.
This guy spoke from a place that few can even slightly comprehend.
This was the guy that really got my fingers moving from my heart. Leo Rowsome's Way inspires me and continues to fill me with hope that with lots of dedication and determination and discipline, I might some day play music the right way!


------------------------------------------------------------------------

... Leo Rowsome is one of many great Irish pipers. I don't intend to scribble out any more bits on pipers so, along with some links to The King of the Pipers, I'd like to direct your attention to some of the others that are worth more just one listen:

An older generation:

Leo Rowsome
http://www.esatclear.ie/~rowsome/leo.htm - This site is wonderful! It covers all five generations of the Rowsomes. It offers quite a lot of great reading!

Felix Doran (brother of Johnny Doran and grandson of John Cash - more piping legends)
http://web.telia.com/~u46103557/jdoran.html - This site offers a few quick bits about Johnny and Felix - it even touches on John Kelly briefly.
Felix strikes me as very similar in spirit to Rowsome.

Willie Clancy
http://www.iol.ie/~ronolan/clancy.w.html
Clancy's name is given to the largest school program dedicated to Irish traditional music.

Seamus Ennis
http://www.iol.ie/~ronolan/ennis.html
Seamus Ennis was a great historian and did much to preserve the integrity of Uilleann pipes music. His playing is very much the way pipes are meant to be played --- very staccato; in some ways, difficult for western ears to enjoy.

A younger generation:

Paddy Keenan
http://www.paddykeenan.com/about.htm
Paddy Keenan might be the best piper that is alive and playing today. Wow!
I caught a house concert of his in Philly many years ago. The man's ability to play anything on such an instrument is without equal.
Check out the Bothy Band, too: http://www.folkworld.de/30/e/bothy.html

Paddy Moloney
http://members.shaw.ca/chieftains/paddy.html
I'm sure each of you has heard the music of Paddy Moloney, perhaps without knowing it. He is the piper in The Chieftains. http://www.thechieftains.com/ Their recorded output is immense; their interpretation of Irish traditional music is probably what most folks think of as "traditional Irish" music. It isn't! It is Irish music but to call it traditional would be incorrect - these musicians have incorporated western classical music into the Irish repertoire with great success and have produced a wonderful new music. But, beware of calling it traditional.

Liam O'Flynn
http://www.taramusic.com/biogs/liamobg.htm
I'm sure I heard Paddy Moloney's pipering first but Liam O'Flynn's was the first to truly make me sit up and listen ... and want to learn to play such a ridiculous instrument!
His band, Planxty, provided a great springboard for me to explore more deeply the rich musical heritage of Ireland. http://www.taramusic.com/biogs/planxty.htm

Jerry O'Sullivan
http://jerryosullivan.com/bio.htm
This guy might be the fastest piper I've ever heard. Holy cow! Check out his recording of "Col. Fraser" if you can. It's a wonderful illustration of the uilleann pipes; he plays through the entire piece three times. The first time he plays only with the chanter (the drones are closed off.) The second time he opens up the drone stock, allowing the drones to accompany the chanter. The third time through, he uses the regulators to accompany the chanter and drones providing a rhythmic drive.

Mr. Roy Rogers, Legend
I don't have a link but this man is amazing! He was (and still is) my pipes teacher (and mentor.)
I mention him here because he is a piper and deserves a place among these others. But, I WILL be taking the time to write a bit about him in a weekly email to come.

Have a good week!

----------------------------------------------------------


"Treat the Earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."
- Native American proverb

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).