Friday, June 27, 2008

Jan. 20, 2008 - Wellman Braud


My Influences:


Wellman Braud (Jan. 25, 1891 - Oct. 29, 1966)
String Bassist

This week, we celebrate Wellman Braud, one of my favorite bassists!

More than likely, you'll recognize Mr. Braud from his recordings with Duke Ellington. He was the first in Ellington's long line of fine bassists.
It's important to note that Braud was involved with a number of Sidney Bechet's bands such as the pivotal "Bechet-Spanier Big Four."
Like Pops Foster, Bill Johnson and Al Morgan, he claimed New Orleans as his home, was a very-well recorded bassist and was very important in the grand scheme of jazz bass history.

Braud's bass playing is a great example for what a bass should be doing in this music - driving! Without a doubt, he informs the listener of the time as well as the exact location of beats one, two, three, and four.
I love listening to this guy! When I grow up, I will be like him - a great bassist.

Happy Birthday, Wellman Braud and thanks for the great music!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wellman_Braud

--------------------------------------------------------------

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people."

~Frank Kent



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).