Friday, June 27, 2008

June 8, 2008 - Double Bass

My Influences:


Double Bass
double bass, contrabass, string bass, upright bass, bass, doghouse bass, el tololoche, stand-up bass, bull fiddle, bass fiddle, bass violin


This week's featured influence/inspiration may seem quite obvious. (So did air!) But, that's no reason to skip it.

The interested party can easily turn up plenty of historical information on the string bass by following the links included below.

First off, I choose to call it a "string bass" because of the genre and era of music that appeals to me most: early jazz. During that time, bassists were doubling on both double bass and tuba/sousaphone. To distinguish between the two, the terms string bass for double bass and brass bass for tuba/sousaphone were used.

Next up, how did I become interested in string bass?
I'm not entirely sure, really. The instrument always appealed to me, more or less, in the average American, dumbed-down way: it was big and made a low-pitched sound! I wanted to play it but it was always a passing fancy; never anything serious.
In 1997, my cousin (and first guitar teacher) formed a bluegrass band in Pennsylvania. The band lacked a string bass (I guess if we're sticking to the established standard, the band was missing a bull fiddle or bass fiddle). My cousin played for me a demo of the band (sans bass), and I was quite interested in the music.
The conversation that followed (paraphrased):
Cousin John said, "We need a bass player!"
"I've always wanted to play the bass. It doesn't seem like it's too much of a stretch from guitar," replied cousin Ryan.
"Really?! If I get you a bass, will you learn how to play it and be our band's bassist?"
"You bet I will!"
Cousin John wasted no time ... within a week, he brought a bass to my apartment. Unfortunately, he brought me an electric bass guitar! I remember leaving him with some rather colorful words regarding the instrument that he brought having nothing to do with what we had discussed that previous week. Nevertheless, I decided to fool around with it. That didn't last.
Within a week (and thanks to a well-paying warehouse job that was offering me over sixty hour work weeks), I went to the onliest store around that boasted a double bass for sale and snatched it up. The merchant and I smooshed my new instrument into me sweet ride - a 1987 Beretta GT.
Folks, that's how it started. If you feel moved, you can thank my cousin, John and Confab, Inc. for the impetus and wherewithal (with respect) to get me to where I'm at today.

Moving on - how does this giant piece of wood influence me?
For starters, getting that bass in and out of the old Beretta was really not that fun. When that slick sporty car ran out of juice, I found something a bit more conducive to the instrument's size, a 1972 Ford Club Wagon! (Named "The Green Lantern" due to the incredible paint job, shag carpeting, etc. the previous owner applied to the inside and outside of the behemoth)
Since then, I haven't purchased a new (to me) vehicle without heavily considering how it would accommodate my instrument.

What else? Every instrument offers its fair share of medical tribulations if proper technique isn't learned and applied. The string bass has a habit of magnifying these issues. I know more bassists than other instrumentalists who have needed surgery or, at least, some medical care due to the rigors of the instrument. I have suffered a few myself!

I love the string bass! It's a beautiful instrument. It's a powerful instrument. I've heard talented musicianers use the instrument to produce incredible art and share deep, personal thoughts and emotions. There have even been a few times that I've actually managed to use the bass to convey what was going on inside of me in a pleasing manner.
To me, the bass seems a natural extension of my body. It feels right in my hands. As I mentioned in the piece about Pops Foster, I usually play what I feel when I'm playing string bass - that feeling is both an instinctual feeling produced internally as well as a learned habit delivered to me through the kind and warm vibrations of the instrument. The bass and I work together (most of the time!) as one.
The bass is who I am. Hopefully, I am putting a good face on the bass, as well!

Thank you string bass! I look forward to playing you!

Some links:
http://www.earlybass.com/
http://www.gollihurmusic.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/String_bass
http://www.lemur-music.com/
http://www.doublebassguide.com/?page_id=3
--------------------------------------------------------------
"Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose—and you allow him to make war at pleasure."
~Abraham Lincoln

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).