Friday, June 27, 2008

Dec. 16, 2007 - Sadie and Smedley

My Influences:



Sadie and Smedley
evil incarnate


Sadie is the dog. Smedley is the cat.
Sadie's papers say she is a chihuahua? She weighs in at twenty-five pounds. She stands about a foot and a half tall and, from nose to butt, she is probably two feet.
According to my measure, that doesn't fit the chihuahua mold. Please, feel free to make your own judgments from her given dimensions and the photo above.
She came to us from Town Lake Animal Shelter where they wanted to put her down because she failed the pen test and because she had heart worm.
A little bit of money, a few trips to the vet and giving the dog medicine is all it took to cure the heart worm problem.
Failed the pen test? Whatever ... I'd fail it, too. Watch the dog whisperer and be disciplined about your behaviors with your furry friend ... enjoy the fruits of your labors.
Smedley (Smedley Maynard) is your standard orange tabby. He comes to us via the neighbors of a couple of friends. They were going to take him to Town Lake because he was too small to run with the rest of the cats in the neighborhood? Ummmm ... Smedley (by the way, named for MGen Smedley D. Butler, USMC) starts most of the battles between his three times heavier and twice taller and longer sister who has much bigger teeth and stronger jaws and limbs.

Do these guys actually inspire me to make music? Not so much!
Mostly, they inspire me to chase them around the house yelling words that aren't fit to print. It's painful to figure out what to do with them when we want to leave town for a couple of days. They make a mess out of anything and everything and I'm pretty sure they do it purposely to aggravate me and test my limits.

The dog barks and snarls and growls at anything that is not a permanent part of this household. She's even been known to nip at some of the folks on this very list.
But, she's a hell of a watch-dog! Her bark makes her sound twice as big as she is and her snarl and growl can spook just about anyone. She is always right at my side in the middle of the night when I spring into defensive and investigative action prompted from barely audible but curious noises in or near the house.

The cat isn't much on security. To you would-be burglars on the list, you don't have to fear anything from the cat; well, he might run under foot and trip you while you're making off with my untold riches. He will also be demanding your attention, distracting you from your evil plan (so, maybe he is good for something?)
But, he is a constant source of entertainment. I've seen him run straight into walls because he doesn't seem to like watching where he is going. He meows in something altogether NOT cat - it's much more like human baby-talk. The fights he starts with Sadie usually provide some astounding physical feat of acrobatic daring (on his part) to inspire wonder and awe. Sometimes, while I'm typing out this blubbering gibberish, he'll climb on to my shoulders and wrap himself around my neck and shoulders (like a fur stole) - I think he has watched a few pirate movies and considers himself a parrot.

These guys are part of my life and as such, they are inspirations and influences on me and the music in my life.
Hairy and annoying, even a bit smelly, but still loved.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have."
~Davy Crockett




No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).