Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sept. 24, 2007 - Thelma Terry

My Influences:



Thelma Terry Sept. 30, 1901 - Mar. 30, 1966
string bass

Here's one great bassist!

Thelma "Terry" Combs was a band leader and string bassist in her day. She led a few "all-girl" bands. She also led Thelma Terry and Her Playboys - this is the group with which she recorded.

Her recordings:
http://www.redhotjazz.com/terry.html

There's really only six recordings to go on but I think one would be plenty for me. What I hear in her playing is a departure from what a lot of folks will tell you is the "traditional" roll of the bass (bla, bla, bla, bla ...) She doesn't play on 1, 2, 3, and 4 constantly!
This goes into my head and comes out through my hands and onto my bass as: "Play wherever the heck you feel it's right!" (Sounds like another famous quote from another amazing bassist that has MAJORLY influenced my playing!)

And so, I do! (At least, when I'm playing with a band that I know doesn't need that steady a pulse because each band member is subtly making that point already or won't fall apart because something is a little different.
As a string bassist, I don't necessarily feel that it's all-important in these contexts to constantly state 1, 2, 3, and 4 or even just 1 and 3. As a string bassist, I do feel it's all-important to contribute to the melody and harmony just as much as the rhythm!
Of course, I get that from players like Thelma Terry (and Pops Foster and Al Morgan!)

So, this week marks the anniversary of the birth of Thelma "Terry" Combs - phenomenal string bassist! If you have a moment are really enjoy the older styles of jazz, follow those links and study on her. Say, "Happy Birthday Thelma," next Sunday! I will be saying it all week!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is part of the general pattern of misguided policy that our country is now geared to an arms economy, which was bred in an artificially induced psychosis of war hysteria and nurtured upon an incessant propaganda of fear.

~General Douglas MacArthur



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).