Thursday, June 26, 2008

August 13, 2007 - Stanley Smith and Roy Gould, Jr.

My Influences:

I’ve been trying to keep these bio bits oriented to the births of my great influences. This week, two important influences in my life are celebrating their birth – on the same day!
It’s tough splitting the focus between two folks but both of these men have been directly important to who I am as a musician and a person.
So, we have two this week; enjoy!
(And, please remember that I will not do either of these fine men justice by writing what little I will on them.)




Stanley “Steamer” Smith (August 19, 1945)
International Playboy and Jewel Thief

Stanley’s still around and many of you probably know him and what he does or what he has done. So, I’ll duck the actual bio info in lieu of a quick run-down on my experiences over the years with him.

I met Stanley through The Asylum Street Spankers in 1997 - 98-ish. They stopped in NYC and I felt compelled to get in a live listen. I drove up with my cousin and a good friend. We were very pleased and, of course, met our man there.
We were starved for higher quality musical entertainment in the Philly area so, whenever the Spankers rolled through the east coast, my buddy and I would go check them out. In doing so, we started a friendly relationship with most of the folks in the band. Eventually, a few of them talked us into moving down here.
Stanley was one of the first musicians we headed out to hear. He welcomed us very warmly – in his very signature Stanley Smith manner. I found out that he played in a hot jazz band every Wednesday and decided, barring any gig commitments, I would be taking in this weekly show EVERY Wednesday!
A couple years later, no doubt due to the mental strains of being a struggling musicianer,

Stanley asked me to join that band. I did, despite my unqualified standing.
Throughout these years, Stanley has shared his experiences with me and pointed me in a good direction when and where he could. He’s been a great guide and, undeniably, one of the coolest!
Before I moved down here, Stanley said one seriously important and very spiritual thing to me that I will never forget: (I hope I’m not breaking some trade-secret here, good friend) “… a musician’s success isn’t measured in fame or money. His success comes from being able to put food on the table and keep a roof over head.”
I’ve always kept that in mind. I don’t make tons of money but I make enough to live a humble and spiritually fulfilling life through music. I don’t care one way or the other if I ever receive any fanfare whatsoever so long as I can share the spirit of music with folks. The bills get paid and I live in a decent place (with an absolutely amazing wife - but that’s for another bio.)
I have Stanley to thank for a solid understanding of the balanced nature of the musicianer.
I have Stanley to thank for years of great support, as well!





So, it’s my humble duty to thank you, warrior brother and fellow musicianer for being you – an amazing human being!

-------------------------------



Mr. Roy L. Gould, Jr. (August 19, 1945)
Dad

That should pretty much cover it, right? I know when I think of his name, I stand tall and proud – kinda like the Marine’s Hymn is playing.
I guess the man didn’t raise everyone else, though.
So …

My dear Dad grew up in Norristown, PA – it’s a wonderful place! Be sure to schedule your next vacation there.
He honorably served this country as a U.S. Marine in the mid-60s (Viet Nam.)
You’ll have to forgive me: he’s been kicking ass as a man and as a good human being ever since.
That’s enough bio for now.

My father is one of the two most important male influences on me as a human being and, therefore, as a musicianer and all other things. (His father would be the other.)

I know right from wrong because of my Dad. I’m quite sure he learned it from his Dad – I know I learned that much from the senior Gould, too. I’m also quite sure he learned it from his time as a U.S. Marine.
Now, I’m not talking about the difference between legal and illegal. I’m talking about making the right decisions. I’m talking about doing good just because that’s what you should do!
Certainly doing the right thing helps other folks and makes your body work properly on the inside, but Dad taught me to do good for good’s sake not for a reward now or in some afterlife or for a better standing in the community.
You just do the right thing!

He has helped me to use that knowledge of right and wrong in high stress situations (again, a Marine trait and learned there, as well.) This is directly related to music (most things are!)
He has taught me to be thankful for the good folks in my life.
I learned discipline and tact from Dad, I learned to be the quiet observer from Dad and I learned to wait for the right time to act from Dad.
This list goes on and on with so many important lessons so how about I skip to these last two …

Confidence:
I trust myself. I look to nothing else and count on nobody.
Without being a pillar of strength for myself, I couldn’t offer real support to anyone else.
Without it, I couldn’t genuinely accept support from anyone else.
I am responsible in every way for all my actions and reactions – great or small.

Love:
I have my father’s love. Of that, I am sure. I can feel it whether I’m standing next to him or 1700 miles away from him. I very proudly carry it with me wherever I go.
My father has his son’s love. I am equally sure of that!
I’m sure that, because of this, I am able to trust myself, love others deeply and do right.

Happy Birthday, Dad!
I love you!
I’m proud to be your son and I’m eternally grateful!

Semper Fi! (I’m proud to be your brother, too.)

"Treat the Earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."
- Native American proverb

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).