Friday, June 27, 2008

June 2, 2008 - Dave Biller

My Influences:


Dave Biller
guitar


Dave is, hands down, one of the very best guitarists in Austin and, according to my tastes, one of the very best guitarists in this country. His musicianship is off the charts; he has an ability to tap into just about any style of music and stick it into any song during a solo while comping or right over top of another lead and do it in a way that seems as if it were written that way. And, he does all that in the most unassuming way, without flinching a bit or hinting that he had to think about it or reach deep inside himself to find the idea or wherewithal to pull it off!
He plays in plenty of bands and in all manner of genres; all kinds of country and western swing, all kinds of jazz and swing and even some rock. I've heard him play electric bass in a surf band and he has been playing pedal steel around town lately.
If you aren't extremely familiar with this Austin legend, PLEASE, make yourself that way!

I met Dave ten years ago. He was touring with the Asylum Street Spankers. It only took one solo before we had all perked up and realized that there was something big coming out of his instrument.
When I moved to town, he seemed thrilled that I was here. He warmly welcomed me into this wonderful family of musicianers like I had been a part of it since birth. I certainly didn't feel worthy as I had not developed a lot of the music that I play these days. As a great mentor, though, Dave just threw me into the fire and helped me along when I needed it.
He got me a few gigs here and there and even chose me as the bassist in his gypsy-jazz band, Les Niglos. Soon enough, I found myself playing with him in The Jazz Pharaohs and then in a band called Cheapo Trio (which slowly morphed into Paris 49.)
I have learned so much music from Dave. I have learned so much about how to enjoy gigs, enjoy other musicianers, and so much about how to just do your own thing and, somehow, make it work with whatever else is happening on and off the stage. He has been one of the very best music teachers I could have ever hoped to have.
Dave has also been and continues to be one very great friend!

It's also worth noting that Mr. Biller has taught many of us some of the finer points to playing the "private party;" most notably, where to find and how to obtain cake! If there is sugary-sweet goodness offered to guests (and whether it is offered to the musicianers or not), follow Dave on the break. He will sniff out and plan the proper scheme to procure as much cake as he can for himself and the band.

Thanks for all the music and everything else!

Some links:
http://www.actionpackedevents.com/Billerbio.htm
http://www.gypsyjazz.net/products/cds-leroy-s-swing.php
http://www.vintageguitar.com/features/music/details.asp?AID=1839
www.myspace.com/thejazzpharaohs
www.myspace.com/billerandhorton
www.myspace.com/lucashudginsandthefirstcousins

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose—and you allow him to make war at pleasure."
~Abraham Lincoln

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).