Thursday, June 26, 2008

Nov. 4, 2007 - USMC

My Influences:



The United State Marine Corps (10 NOV 1775 - present)

"That two battalions of Marines be raised consisting of one Colonel, two Lieutenant-Colonels, two Majors, and other officers, as usual in other regiments; that they consist of an equal number of Privates with other battalions; that particular care be taken that no persons be appointed to offices, or enlisted into said battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve by sea when required; that they be enlisted and commissioned to serve for and during the present war with Great Britain and the Colonies, unless dismissed by order of Congress; that they be distinguished by the names of the First and Second Battalion of Marines."

To the U.S. Marine Corps and to the U.S. Marine, it is unquestionably honorable - the right thing to do - to know and to observe one's history, his heritage and the traditions that have grown from that lineage. This is one of the many disciplines that promotes such a strong brotherhood among U.S. Marines, and it instills an even greater sense of appropriate conduct, loyalty, gratitude that distinguishes the U.S. Marine Corps and its warriors from other fighting units.

Remembering and celebrating the U.S. Marine Corps Birthday is one of the traditions, of course.
On U.S. Marine Corps bases the world over, 10 NOV is a pretty exciting time. Each year, a Marine Corps Ball is held. At the Ball, there is a cake cutting ceremony where an order from Lieutenant General John A. Lejeune, thirteenth Commandant of the Marine Corps, is read. (The order summarizes the history, tradition and mission of the U.S. Marine Corps.)

This year, despite the eleven-plus years that have passed since I received my Honorable Discharge, I will be celebrating with no less spirit!
Each year, I speak with my dear Dad, also a U.S. Marine, and wish him a Happy Birthday. Of course, I call him again the very next day (11 Nov - Veterans Day!) to thank him for his service as a warrior to this country.

As you might imagine, the United States Marine Corps has most certainly influenced everything I do - including music.
It seems strange to a lot of folks when they learn that I served as an active duty Marine. For some odd reason, being a Marine and being a musician seem contradictory to some. To me, it was a very sensible and quite linear career choice.
In the U.S. Marine Corps, one learns to move as a unit - as a team.
A good Marine and a good Marine platoon, squad and fire team will learn the duties of his position and perform those duties with discipline and dedication and, with any luck, well-refined skill! The Marine will also learn the duties of every other member of his unit. (The reality of war demands it - each private knows how to command a platoon because the Lieutenant, the Sergeants, the Corporals and the Lance Corporals can all be shot down and killed just as easily ... someone will need to keep it together.)
A good Marine will also grow to know each of his fellow Marines (within his unit) very well. It is imperative to move as one unit - speed, efficiency, success and welfare depend on the unit's self-awareness - it's teamwork, esprit-de-corps and morale.

How does any of this relate to musicianship? Directly!
Go back and read those lines but replace the word Marine with musicianer. Replace the word unit with band.
Upon my return to the civilian workforce, I could not find a job that boasted such a teamwork ethic. It sickened me and, while I was completely able to function within what jobs I took and achieve success and even commendation in any of those jobs, I could not fully enjoy working in those situations because there was just NO team spirit. It was all for the self. I am not interested in that spirit.
I have found that camaraderie, the team spirit, in my work as a musicianer.

That's only one facet of the U.S. Marine Corps' influence on me as a musicianer.
You can imagine that discipline and dedication, as well as many other characteristics learned from the U.S. Marine Corps and their influence on me would take up many more paragraphs.
I think you get the idea.

Happy Birthday U.S. Marine Corps!

Some links:
http://www.usmc.mil/
http://www.marines.com/
Lejeune, John A., LGEN USMC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._Lejeune
For those of you in the D.C area, the USMC Museum has recently opened its doors and by all reports, it is well worth visiting, but will take more than one visit.
http://www.usmcmuseum.org/

--------------------------------------------------------------

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

~Abraham Lincoln



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).