Friday, June 27, 2008

December 9, 2007 - Roy Gould, Sr.

My Influences:



Mr. Roy L. Gould, Sr. (Dec. 10, 1920 - Dec. 2, 2001)
Patriarch

The man pictured above is my grandfather - Grandpop Gould.
Nothing I write today can honor the man the way I would prefer or in the manner he earned. Nothing I write today can accurately describe the pride with which I dutifully carry his name. There are simply no words that can explain the love I have for my dear Grandpop.

Grandpop was an amazing man. He was a great example of the American citizen. He was a great example of a father and a grandfather.
He did good things until he could do things no longer.
With regard to his parenting, he and my loving, sweet Grandmom, raised four healthy sons - of course, one of those was my wonderful father, Dad! (I hope you can recall how I feel about him.) Not only did he and my Grandmom raise my Dad and my uncles, they helped raise my brother and me.
When I think of Grandpop, I think of him as a grandfather and a father, as well. He wasn't the typical doting grandfather, spoiling the grandkids when they were dropped off for babysitting. He demanded that we conduct ourselves in a disciplined manner at all times and expected us to observe the rules our parents gave us as well as the rules of his house.
He gave me a strong foundation in discipline and sense of faith in myself through that discipline - a trust in myself and nobody else to accomplish anything I wished.

Grandpop was a grandfather, too, however. He was unconditionally proud of anything and everything I did. When I walked in the house, his very normal, pessimistic scowl turned upside down as he smiled from ear to ear greeting me. Every time I showed up at the door, it seemed as if he had been standing there, excitedly waiting for my return - nearly puppy-like.
Grandpop left absolutely no doubt in my mind of the pride he had in me and my accomplishments as well as the love he held for me.

Grandpop was also a wonderful storyteller. My favorite: He always told me that he started WWII.
He was stationed on Pearl Harbor in 1941 as a U.S. Army soldier (yes, he constantly busted my shoes and my Dad's regarding USMC/US Army rivalry stuff). Days before Dec. 7th, he shot some pool with a friend on base. He lost and accused his buddy of playing dirty. He swore that he wouldn't shoot pool with this guy until there was a war on.
On the morning of Dec. 7, 1941, Grandpop found himself without anyone to join him for a game. He found this buddy and reluctantly agreed to shoot pool with him. They got as far as brushing the table when the whole place started shaking.
Grandpop said it took them a couple minutes to realize that it wasn't just "heavy exercises" disturbing their game.
So, Grandpop thought he caused the war - I'm sure he'd send his apologies!



In the years after my service to our now sadly defunct country and before my emigration to Austin, TX, I spent some rather joyful and memorable times with Grandpop.
I didn't live too far away so I would wake up and pop over to see Grandmom and Grandpop. Sometimes, I'd miss Grandmom (dynamo - always on the move, on a mission to right local wrongs or just out grocery shopping and buying lottery tickets!) and catch some good quality grandfather/grandson time. There is nothing like watching reruns of Sanford and Son with Grandpop! I had grown a strong fondness on my own for Hawaii Five-O at that time, too. So, it was especially exciting to wake up and shoot over to 750 Kohn St. to take up my perch next to my grandfather and watch Kono eating sandwiches while McGarrett's hair stood unmoving in the winds.
The conversations about anything and everything were stimulating and insightful. (This was during the commercials, of course - you didn't speak while Chin Ho was tracking down evidence or while Dan-O was booking some evil crime lord!)
My Grandpop's quiet wisdom, to me, is worth more than I can say.
Those were priceless memories.

I could go on and on about my Grandpop ... but I think you get the idea.
I spend every day of my life celebrating this man but tomorrow, Dec. 10th, is the day I break with my American value of privacy and share my excitement and joy about the man who gave me so much so willingly, happily and lovingly.

I carry my cherished Grandpop's love and his memory in my heart and because of that, I don't ever want for missing him. Yet, there are also no words to describe the weight of the tears stored inside me because he is physically gone.

I love you with all of my heart, Grandpop. Everything I do in life is dedicated to you and to all the priceless gifts you gave me - especially, your honorable name and the great man, your son, my Dad. - Thank you!
Happy Birthday!

--------------------------------------------------------------

"Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have.
~Davy Crockett



2 comments:

P.Kellach W. said...

thank you for having to explain to my next 10 business calls why I sound like I have been sobbing HA !! I am so overwhelmed with dad/son/PTSD issues I occasionally forget how much I miss my Grandpa too.

In all seriousness, I am deeply moved you sent this to me sir, and again you will get a REAL facebook response later.

P.Kellach W. said...

OK I don't think this went through the first time ( re: facebook note.. I think Mozilla has it OUT for me today ) .. But I am deeply deeply moved by this, I appreciate it more than you ever know you linking me to this .. and I will indeed send a real reply later sir. And thank your for two things 1. reminding me in the midst of all my PTSD about fathers and sons and whatever , how much I miss my grandpa. 2. Yes, i needed yet ANOTHER reason to explain to the next 8 business fone calls that if my voice is odd, why I have recently become yet again a sobbing mess. HA :) but it's so worth it.. you are a spectacular human being sir. More Later.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).