Friday, June 27, 2008

Jan. 27, 2008 - Lauryn

My Influences:



Lauryn Gould
Wife, Best Friend, Muse


A few years ago, the most amazingly beautiful creature stepped through the door at Flipnotics during an Erik Hokkanen gig. She grabbed a place in the back and stood, listening to the band. I'd never seen such beauty ever before and was rather unable to pull my gaze away from her. (I still haven't been able to do so.) Although, she stood in the back, she was the only one I could see; I saw the most incredibly striking smile, the most magnificently arresting eyes and a grace of spirit that bewitched me.
I was captivated ... still am. I thought this woman had to be a model.
This model made the same spellbinding entrance nearly every week thereafter. I thought she would never have the time to share even a short word with me. It took the better part of a year before either of us spoke words to the other. When we did, however, it seems the seal was broken. Each word she said was the word I wanted to hear and I wanted to hear as many of her words as I could.
We married a little over a year ago.

Lauryn is my very best friend. She is always there for me.
She is my muse. She moves me to follow my spirit and be true to myself and, in doing so, be true to her.
She is my teacher and guide. She has shown me how to perform with grace and beauty in honoring all the wonderful gifts my beautiful parents and grandparents gave me.
She is my wife. She loves me like nobody else has. She gives me the warmth inside that keeps my heart from freezing and turning black.
That's just the tip of the iceberg, friends. Lauryn is my influence and my inspiration.

She is also an amazing role-model; we could all learn a thing or two from her example, actually.
She is kind; she is thoughful; she is caring; she is generous. She sees the beauty in things before she sees the bad.
She works hard and strives to accomplish her heart's ambitions. And, she endeavors to be true to that connection to her heart; a connection that is all too often overlooked and quite difficult to maintain.
She shares all of her gifts, not only with me, but with anyone who is willing to accept them.

I could never hope to write all the things that you are to me, Lauryn.
I love you.
You are my The One.

--------------------------------------------------------------

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people."
~Frank Kent

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).