Thursday, June 26, 2008

Oct. 15, 2007 - Pops Bayless

My Influences:



Pops Bayless
ukulele, banjo, voice, composition

Friends, if you're glad I'm here in Austin, one of the folks you should be thanking is this man!
A long while ago, way back in PA, I had just picked up a ukulele and had just begun my quest to learn about the music I'm playing now. As it turns out, Pops was the perfect starting point.
I met Pops in NYC (at The Mercury Lounge) in 1997. He was playing with The Asylum St. Spankers. I was knocked out by the band's wonderful performance in the first set. During the break, Pops took the time to speak with me about ukulele and gave me some great tips on certain bands to study. Sure enough, his advice was solid gold. Sure enough, that was the start of a friendship that would lead me to a move across the country.
Pops and The Spankers rolled through the Northeast a number of times over the next two years and I did my best to make it to their performances within driving range. Pops was always there to greet me like an old friend!
In '99, the band made its way through Philly and I got a good chance to sit down with Pops to talk about Austin. He cemented my growing feelings to move to a place where music was such a part of the local culture.
Months later, my good friend Jeff and I found ourselves crashed on Pops' living room floor - he was very kind to offer his place until we could find our own. Of course, it took only two or three days before Pops, Mysterious John, Jeff and I had a couple of tunes together and were considering a name for the new band: Shorty Long.

Pops has been a good friend and a good guide to Austin, to music and to the music business. He's one hell of a great songwriter! And, he is an important part of the ukulele culture in the U.S. He's always been willing to share advice on just about anything that could happen and always quick-witted to keep things light -- like things should be!
Check out Pops and Shorty Long at http://www.shortylong.com/. You'll be glad you did!

Thanks Pops!

------------------------------------------------------------------

"If I'm fighting for freedom here, and I go home and I'm oppressed, what does that mean?"
~Pv2 Frederick Phoenix, MP, US Army

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).