Thursday, June 26, 2008

Oct. 21, 2007 - Eddie Lang

My Influences:



Eddie Lang October 25, 1902 – March 26, 1933
(Salvatore Massaro)
guitar

Eddie Lang is one of the first greats of jazz guitar.
Guitarists from this age played lots of chord melody -- what I would call "playing guitar the right way." Eddie Lang played chord melody flawlessly!
I'm most familiar with his work through recordings he and Joe Venuti made with Cliff Edwards (there are many other recordings he made under his own name and as "Blind Willie Dunn" as well as with other bandleaders). The recordings with Venuti, to me, are wonderful joys.

Take some time out this week to look into Eddie Lang if you're unfamiliar, if you are familiar, take some time out on Thursday to celebrate the anniversary of his birth (as well as his many contributions to jazz guitar and the music in general.
http://www.redhotjazz.com/lang.html

If you're interested in more guitarists from Lang's era, check out Carl Kress and Dick McDonough (that's just a start!) at http://www.classicjazzguitar.com/artists/artists.jsp

If you're interested in a local guitarist who plays this style beautifully (probably the only guy in town doing it!) check out JD Pendley! (See the above schedule and band list - I play with JD very regularly; we're Rhythm Pals!)

------------------------------------------------------------------

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force ... Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action."
-George Washington

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).