Thursday, June 26, 2008

May 28, 2007 - Memorial Day Editorial

A Quick Memorial Day Thought

Whether their acts are commanded by a greed-driven, evil despot and his shiftless-at-best regime, as in our present time or brave sacrifices in the noble defense of our true liberty, as in our Revolutionary days, warriors are a vital part of our society and, sadly, overlooked.

Yes, there are parades that take place on our warrior holidays. Yes, the news anchors and the local stations send out a sweet (sappy and questionably genuine) holiday message.
But, there are other things that happen to completely deflate those attempts as well as a lack of positive, constructive movement relating to this issue.

For example: take a moment to consider shopping at "Memorial Day" Sales ...
Speaking as a warrior, it deeply offends me that the days that are put aside to honor the warrior spirit in this country (Memorial Day and Vet's Day) are compromised by our nation's horrible and greedy fascination with capitalism.
Does it honor the fallen to buy something at a discounted price on these days?
Or, would it do more honor to the fallen to give a good bit of that day off to pondering where we are as a Nation; who we are as a People?

Warriors fight and die for ideas. Do we allow them to do so without our lifelong gratitude?
Warriors in America supposedly fought (fight) for our liberty; our "freedom." Do we allow ourselves to become less vigilant and diminish their sacrifice by allowing those liberties to be stolen from us?

This Memorial Day, as a warrior, I will be honoring the sacrifice of my fallen family members by giving a great deal of thought to how I can reclaim the liberties that have been stolen from me in the name of "security."
I hope you'll do the same.
-----------------------------------------------------------

"Treat the Earth well: it was not given to you by your parents, it was loaned to you by your children. We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children."
- Native American proverb

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).