Friday, June 27, 2008

Feb. 3, 2008 - Faustyn Langowski

My Influences:


Faustyn Langowski
saxomaphone, clarinet, hijinks, good spirit

Here's the real thing, folks. Faustyn Langowski is a real a musicianer. (Read the links below to get a brief glimpse into his working-man's musician resume as well as quick a bio.) He's played with bands from Adolph Hoffner to Glen Campbell and everything in between. Faustyn's ears can pick up any melody and then send it right back out through whatever horn he has in his hands. His playing is some of the best I've ever heard - both solo and ensemble styles. Simply, he lives and breathes music ... he IS music.

How do I keep this brief?
In my life-long, constant journey to understand myself (and hopefully, others,) the one thing that has presented itself time and time again as being paramount is the necessity of a light heart.
Whether performing as a musicianer (read: entertainer,) running ten miles with an M-16A2 service rifle training to kill and be killed and many other things in between, the folks closest to me (and, probably many others) know me to be smiling or clowning in some way.
This is my Way.
To me, it seems to be the Way that, if not everyone, at least the entertainers in our midst should follow.
Faustyn is that light heart.

My very first experience with Faustyn comes from the 2006 open jam hosted by the local "traditional" jazz society. Edward told me about a guy he met who played with Adolph Hoffner and that the guy might be coming to the jam. Near to the end of my time at the jam, that guy, Faustyn, sauntered up to the stage area with his saxophone and jumped right in! He turned to me a number of times during that first tune we played together to joke with me about the music.
Every gig I've played with him since has been nothing but fun and light-hearted joy with Faustyn cracking wise to me and other band members as well as audience members. Faustyn can play the hell out of his instruments. He is a great musicianer and takes playing very seriously. BUT, he takes it seriously in the light-hearted manner.

Faustyn has given me a wonderful gift in his constant reminders, on stage and off, that life is to be taken with a grain of salt and should, more or less, be read aloud, accompanied with grand and animated movements like a Dr. Seuss story book.
Life is a beautiful place, friends. One of the big reasons for that: Faustyn Langowski and his musical talent and light and joyful heart.

Thanks old buddy!
I can't tell you how much the music you share with me means and I promise that it will stay with me in my heart to my end. You ARE music.

Some links regarding our subject:
http://www.angelfire.com/folk/polka/bands.html (scroll a little over an eighth of the way down the page)
http://www.arsjb.com/History_files/flv1.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------

"All men having power ought to be mistrusted."
~James Madison



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Austin, Texas, United States
Music has been, at the very least, a truly notable part of most of my life. It was guitar in the late '80s through the '90s, playing the punk rock and death metal until the uilleann pipes came along to show me Irish music. Somewhere in the midst of the pipering madness, I decided to pick up a string bass. Next thing I knew, I was in Austin, TX studying traditional jazz and playing string bass full-time. Music has been good to me and continues to show me the good things in life. With this blog, I hope to share some of those good things (more than likely, I'll probably share some rants, too). I hope you get something from it, even if it's just a good laugh (with me or at me: your choice).